So this is it, the first shot at gardening. Hopefully, we will be having carrots, beans (green & yellow), peas, lettuce, cucumber, onions, zuccini, cauliflower, peppers (green & red) and tomatoes. If all goes well, you faithful readers ( if people even look at this) can come over and have a great salad....or we could always order out.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Uncle Tom has inspired me.....
I have been in Comox for about 6 weeks now. It's great. A beautiful valley nestled between Strathcona Provincial Park to the west and the Strait of Georgia to the east. It has been called the recreation capital of Canada, and I have heard from many people that the challenge here is to go downhill skiing, play 18 holes of golf and go sailing all in the same day. I have yet to attempt it as there is no snow on the hill anymore. So what does a guy who is bored out of his mind, waiting for his family to show up, do for fun????? How about plant a garden! No, not an "herb" garden that the valley is famous for, but an actual vegetable garden. Behind the church there is a couple acres that was just grass, so just before I got here they had it rotatilled and sectioned off for families who wanted to grow agarden and didn't have the room at their own house. So I thought, I have nothing else to do after work, I enjoy Uncle Tom's garden.....I could do that! So this is the experimental year, find out what grows, if anything, and we can work on it over the years to come....or give up and let the pro's do what they do best and hit up the farmers market on the weekend!
this is what I had to work with.
putting the string down for those nice straight rows
letting the tomatoes, peppers and cauliflower start a little early, we'll see if they make it
So this is it, the first shot at gardening. Hopefully, we will be having carrots, beans (green & yellow), peas, lettuce, cucumber, onions, zuccini, cauliflower, peppers (green & red) and tomatoes. If all goes well, you faithful readers ( if people even look at this) can come over and have a great salad....or we could always order out.
So this is it, the first shot at gardening. Hopefully, we will be having carrots, beans (green & yellow), peas, lettuce, cucumber, onions, zuccini, cauliflower, peppers (green & red) and tomatoes. If all goes well, you faithful readers ( if people even look at this) can come over and have a great salad....or we could always order out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well done Bradley! I can't wait to see how it looks in a few months! Is there a Comox fair where you can win 50 (or so) ribbons for your garden too?!
ReplyDeleteThat's really cool. Good luck!!
ReplyDeleteGood job Brad!!!!!!!!! Uncle Tom would be proud!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWe are jealous! I attempted gardening last summer and got some great green beans and green onion, but then I went home for 3 weeks and nothing survives in modesto without water for 3 weeks! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteBrad-
ReplyDeleteI am WAY impressed. Is the new green blog a tribute to the green thumb you have cultivated? We had fun with Loni and the kiddos last night. We will miss you all, but atleast we know you'll be eating well! I am so jealous of your veggie garden.
PS I will try to print this page for Uncle Tom. He'd get a kick out of it