Thursday, May 12, 2011

Earthquakes, Cast removal and fingernails!

Ok, I know that earthquakes, cast removal and fingernails is a weird combination, but that is what my week has been like so far. Last week Tavie got a note sent home from school talking about Emergency Preparedness. The Comox Valley is a area of high earthquake activity. The last major quake was in 1948, but experts advise that a major earthquake is probable and that preparation is essential. So her school has created an Earthquake committee. They are making plans to create an earthquake kit that has enough supplies in it to sustain up to 500 people for 24 hours (food, water, etc) As part of the earthquake kit each child has to have a "comfort kit". So the school sent home a ziplock bag for us to put in things like a family photo, comfort letter, small toy, medication and a few treats. The idea is that the kids will be less scared and more able to help themselves and others if they are prepared. Hummm, seems like I have heard that idea before :)
Getting this kit ready for Tavie motivated me to get our own families 72 hour kit back into shape. About 6 years ago for Christmas my mom gave us all a 72 hour kit that all fits in a backpack. As time goes on the food expires and we have added 2 more to the family. So I needed to replace all the food and add enough for 2 more people. We also purchased a water purification pump.

(all the supplies)



So Brecken and I spent the morning organizing them into individual packets. It feels good to have the food 'food' part of the 72 hour kit done. There are still some thing I need to add, like a change of clothes, diapers, etc.. On the 5th sunday in church we are having an Emerg Prep class. Now I won't be the person that has to put up their hand when they say "who does NOT have a 72 hour kit?" :)


3 weeks ago today Brecken got his cast on. It has been such a pain. Being a total germ-a-phob it has been a stressful 3 weeks trying to keep that thing clean! In an attempt to camouflage how dirty it is we decorated in with Transformers, Batman and Spiderman.

Yesterday Brecken had his Dr apt where I thought they were going to take his cast off. I was SO excited! He would no longer have that infestation of bacteria stuck to his arm!! But sadly I learned that they did not take casts off at the clinic and that I would have to wait for the hospital to call me to make an apt. Who knows how long that was going to take????? I was devastated! :)

Thankfully I got a call at 8am this morning saying that they could take it off at 8:45. Hooray!! I was so excited! We even got there EARLY, which if anyone knows me knows that NEVER happens!)

I think that Brecken was a little nervous because last time he had his cast off the saw cut him, even though it was not supposed to. He was pretty quiet through out the procedure. It came off really fast with no cuts! What a relief to have that thing off! The first thing I did when we got home was scrub his arm in anti-bacterial soap. Now it smells nice and fresh :) He wanted to keep the cast. We still have his little tiny green cast from when he was 2. This one may be a little stinky to keep. Maybe just long enough to show Tavie and Daddy when they get home.



For the last 6 months or so we have been battling Brecken with his fingernail chewing. He has chewed his nails so short they are almost non-existent! And to make matters worse he started chewing the skin off too! I have tried everything. A friendly reminder when I caught him... a reward if he lets them grow out a little bit...a light slap on his hand when I caught him chewing... and now the bad tasting fingernail polish. It took me a while to find it. I had been looking for it for a while. And just on Tuesday I found it at Shoppers. When we got home I put it on him. About an hour later I hear him trying to spit. When I went to find out what was going on I realized that he has just gotten his first taste of the polish :) It was kind of a funny moment. We were both laughing. I think this may actually work. I haven't seen him chew in the last few days. I am crossing my fingers!!



















No comments:

Post a Comment