Saturday, June 25, 2011
The value of a dollar.
Last Wednesday the family headed out to get Tavie a new pair of shoes. She needed a pair that she could quickly slip on and run out and play in. The pair she had been wearing were some pink Crocs that I got her for Preschool! While we were looking at shoes for her, Brecken found a pair that he really wanted. He calls them "hiphop" shoes. I think because they remind him of the shoes worn by all the dancers in the LMFAO video for "Party Rock". Anyways, we told him no because he does not need them. He has lots of play shoes. He said "ok" and I thought the issue was over with....... I was wrong. The next day he kept talking about them. He said he had money and could buy them himself. So he gathered all his money and counted it up. $8. The shoes cost $10. I told him that I would make a list of chores and would pay him $0.25 for each chore that he did. He was VERY excited!
His chores were as follows -Organize his shirt and pant drawer-organize his toys-make his bed-dust the living room-organize the shoe closet-clean his toys from Huxleys room-clean the toy box-help fold laundry. He started off great! All his shirts and pants were folded in nice piles in his drawers in no time! He was very excited to show off his work and to check the box. The next task was to organize his toys. This is were it all fell apart. He had been at it for about an hour. I went up to check on him and he was just playing lego. When I asked him about his chores he said he needed a break. I guess it is hard work earning $0.25! After a while of playing he did manage to make his bed. So when daddy came home from work Brecken showed him his chore list. I guess that gave him a second wind because he did everything on the list but fold laundry. Which I am sure he would have done but there was no laundry to fold! So that would have to wait until the next day.
First thing Friday morning he was helping me fold laundry. He was so excited to check that last box off on his list! He wanted to head to the store right away! So, these are the new shoes. Its funny how proud he is of them. Because he earned the money himself he already takes better care of them. He cleans them everytime he wears them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dean and Owen still talk about counting money with Brecken on our trip. Maybe a budding banker or accountant? Regardless of what he does, he'll have cool shoes! We love your choice, Brecken!
ReplyDelete