Friday, July 22, 2011

Ending the 5 year camping drought.

One of the things that Brad really wanted to do on his summer holidays was to go camping. Brad had visions of going to Cape Scott (FAR north west side of the Island) Since the last time we camped Brecken was still in my tummy, I thought we should start small. So with the invitation from friends we headed to Miracle Beach. Its only about 20 mins from our house so I figured if Huxley went crazy in the night I could just come home. Which was my main concern. After setting up camp we all headed down to the beach. The wonderful family that we went with had 4 of their 5 kids come. They basically took over for Brad and I on almost all parenting duties. It was a great break. The kids had a blast and we got a chance to relax :)


Tavie flying a kite on the beach.


When my parents came to visit us we went to Coombs for the day. They ended up getting us a skim board. This was the first chance we got to try it out. It is A LOT harder then it looks. Brecken tried for a long time despite falling on his bottom a few times.


Me pretending to know what I am doing. I don't think I ever got it going like its supposed to. A fear of falling came over me as I was about to jump on and so I hesitated and it never worked right.


Brad on the other hand figured it out. Its all about how you jump on. Both feet at the same time. Easier said then done.


After giving a good college try at skim boarding we headed back to the towels and just chillaxed. The kids crab hunted most of the time. They filled a whole bucket with crabs and then made a crab home in the sand. Kept them busy for a long time.


Post sand, surf and sun. :)


Huxley enjoyed every second of the attention.





I wasn't quite sold on the whole camping idea until I remembered that we could make tinfoil dinners! A camp time favorite of mine. There is just something about cooking it on the fire that makes it taste SO much better!


After supper we settled in for some hot chocolate/smores and camp fire. When it came time for bed I was a little worried about how it would all go. I was most worried about how Huxley would do. But he did great. Only woke up once in the night and went right back to sleep after I re-tucked him in. Tavie slept all night. Not a peep. But the big suprise was Brecken. I was not worried about him at all. He is such a deep sleeper. Boy was I wrong. He woke up around midnight and then was up most of the night. He was scared of the dark and kept calling out for me. So finally around 4am I put him in bed with Brad and I. Mistake. He was flip flopping all over the place. But at least he was quiet. Lesson learned-get glow sticks for him to sleep with so its not so dark.


Once morning rolled around the kids were up bright and early and ready to roll. For breakfast I splurged and got the little bowls of cereal. My kids have never had fruit loops before, so this was a treat.


After breakfast the kids headed to the park and we packed up. All in all it was a great camping trip. Short and sweet. And the most dreaded/hated part of camping, unpacking at home, was almost all done by Brad. Icing on the camping cake! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment