Thursday, July 7, 2011

School is in!

In an attempt to prevent the kids brains (and mine) from turning to mush over the summer I am attempting a 'summer school' of sorts. For about an hour a day we all sit down at the table and work. First up is some work books that I picked up from Costco. They are great! Second, they read. Tavie reads her own book and I read one to Brecken. They have signed up for the summer reading program at the library. For every 7 books they read they get their name in a draw to win a book. Last year they each won one. And then after that I let them pick what they want to learn about. On Monday we made a list of things and then I do some digging on the internet then teach them what I can. Yesterday it was crabs. They wanted to know more about the little guys that they always catch on the beach. I had never really looked into what kind of crabs they are. Turns out they are called Purple Shore crabs. They come in purple, red and green. So after learning a few facts about them we headed to the beach to look at the real deal.

It took all of about 2 seconds for the kids to find a million of them.

This was the biggest one Tavie found. The spots on the claws show that indeed it is a purple shore crab. The fact that Tavie loved the most about them was that in a single winter one crab can lay 32 000 eggs!

Huxley was not too sure about the crab. He kept saying 'BUG!"

After inspecting it on the ground he stepped on it. Not to worry though, it scurried away shortly after.

And what a better way to end the day with a swim in the ocean...

and a weenie/smore roast with friends. It was such a great day to spend at the beach and it turned into a beautiful evening. The kids love their summer school and are always asking what time they get to start their work books. It has been good for me too, I have learned alot already about the little creatures around us. Still up on the list is starfish, snails, jellyfish and shrimp. I love that we live in a place where we can go out and look at the real thing. It should be a great/educational summer.

2 comments:

  1. Um, way to go supermom!!! But you're making me look bad! As soon as the warm weather hits, I breathe a sigh of relief that I don't have to entertain/teach my kids anything for a few months. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you take more students? What a blast -and I agree with Linds, I am pretty laissez-faire in the summertime (or is that simply lazy?!)

    ReplyDelete